Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed said the country will not give up and watch any person or group use social media platforms to truncate the country’s peace and security.
Lai Mohammed said so on Thursday during the presentation of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration scorecard from 2015 to 2022.
He said the federal government has no plans to ban Twitter or any other social media platforms, but will closely monitor their activities.
“Many have asked for our reaction following reports that there has been an increase in fake news, misinformation and hate speech since the microblogging site changed hands.
“Many have even asked us if another ban is in sight. Let me say this: we are closely following the developments on Twitter. It was never our intention to ban a platform of social media or to stifle freedom of expression. Not at all. What happened in the case of Twitter is well known to all.
“Twitter has become a go-to platform for those who want to destabilize Nigeria using fake news, disinformation and hate speech. No nation will allow a social media platform to plunge it into anarchy. Certainly not Nigeria.
“But we continued to engage positively with the various social media platforms including Facebook, Google (owners of YouTube) and Twitter. We do not intend to ban any social media platform again. But neither will we sit idly by and allow any platform whatsoever to plunge our nation into crisis. noted Alhaji Lai.
Early last year, the country banned Twitter for allegedly using its platform to spread fake news and hate speech.
Written by Oluwaseyi Ajibade; Editing by Annabel Nwachukwu